Saturday, December 23, 2023

Exploring the World of Radiooooo

 Those of us who teach long-term keep at it because we keep learning -- especially from our students. It was a student, for example who first introduced me to Cesária Évora more than 20 years ago. He rightly surmised that as someone who was starting to teach about the musics of Latin America, I might also appreciate Cape Verdean music. (As I write this, I am about 10 days out from leading a travel course there!) 

And just a couple weeks ago, a student showed me a fun site on her phone at the end of the last day of class.

The site is www.radiooooo.com (type that "o" five times), a screenshot of which I share here to give an idea of the vibe of this site. Click on a decade at the bottom of the screen to get a world map representing that decade; then click on a country to start hearing a sampling of music from that place and time. There is even a speculative map of the world's radios in the year 2070.

This site is a marvelous invitation to explore! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Praia Famosa

 Two beaches, two famous songs. In preparing to write this, I scoured the  photos from a quick -- very quick -- visit in 2004 , in which I t...