Thursday, February 15, 2024

Praia Famosa

 Two beaches, two famous songs. In preparing to write this, I scoured the photos from a quick -- very quick -- visit in 2004, in which I took all the beach photos I could manage of both beaches. 

One of these is the subject of a song by Barry Manilow. (Okay, Manilow scholars -- the song is about a hotel, but you can see the hotel from the beach.)

The other is an even bigger hit from a decade earlier -- the Girl from Ipanema. The stage decor in this version mimics the pavement patterns common on Portuguese and Brazilian public places, including the sidewalks near both of these beaches.

This version is the most familiar. Another YouTube video includes two interesting versions, one from a movie and one from a jazz club in Germany.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Praia Famosa

 Two beaches, two famous songs. In preparing to write this, I scoured the  photos from a quick -- very quick -- visit in 2004 , in which I t...